Sunday, June 10, 2012

Bossypants by Tina Fey

Hachette Audio
Released 2011
Buy here.

I purchased this audio book not because I an in die-hard fan love with Tina Fey, 30 Rock, or even SNL.  I purchased this audio book because I know enough about Tina Fey to know that I find her reasonably entertaining, and the fact that she narrates this audio version made me certain that her delivery of her own writing would further entertain me more than simply reading the text version myself and imagining her voice in my head.

Boy, did I call that one!

This book is all about Tina Fey, but it isn't a typical, straightforward, chronological autobiography.  Chapters are arranged in, more or less, a birth-to-growing-up-to pre-college-to-college-to-TV-to-marriage-and-kid sort of order, but the chapters don't always necessarily flow seamlessly from one to the next, and sometimes they even move backward, which I kind of liked.  The thing that struck me as really weaving all the chapters together, though, was a sort of successful-woman-in-a-man's-world theme that she brings up in many of her anecdotes, moreso, I think than her title theme of being a boss (though at times the two intersect).  There is a lot going on in this book, though, and her tales of woe, awkward mishaps, crushed spirit, womanhood, and motherhood are told with such candor, self-deprecation, and humor that it is difficult to not be entertained by this book.

The text version of this book isn't long (under 300 pages), and the audio version clocks in at just around 5.5 hours (which, in audio book terms, strikes me as rather short).  If you're looking for a light, fast, fun read (and you don't, at the very least, dislike Ms. Fey), definitely check this one out.

Rating: 3.5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment